Monday, February 6, 2012

One small step


Sup  :)

It’s been a month since I started drawing every day. I find myself more involved with it. I’ve noticed a change in my attitude towards drawing and the need to constantly learn new stuff.

I used to plan things in my head, how much I should draw everyday or what I should practice next. Discussed with friends and other artists on how much discipline and hard work is important, but never actually did something. So to everyone reading this, if you feel like you’re not improving, start…start NOW. Don’t wait for a new day a new month or a new year. Start now or you’ll never get around to doing it.

Don’t rush it either, when I’m practicing anatomy, form and other stuff, I really take my time in understanding what’s happening with the drawing. How something takes shape, why something is drawn a certain way, regardless of whether it takes me half an hour, to get the shape of the head right I get what’s happening. And the next time I draw, I take less time to draw it. Practice till you get it right. If you’re stuck then take a break, draw something else or do something else and come back again. Speed eventually comes to you. Believe me; a month ago I couldn’t properly draw a straight line using the stylus. Now it feels really natural and easy. Even if it’s a little accomplishment, it feels great and I want to find more time in a day to learn more. So yes, start now. Don’t think about it too much, like how and what and when you’ll do it. Eventually you’ll find yourself drawing and determined to learn more J

The highlight of this week was that I got to attend a masterclass by Rishikesh Nandlaskar from Rhythm and Hues. He’s the guy who modeled the hulk (the recent one) and a lot of other cool stuff. He showed us the actual models in maya and talked about how he goes about creating one. too bad we couldn't take photos though. apparently there'd be some issues since the content belonged to Fox and Universal. It was so fricking awesome!! The talk was very inspiring, and awesome. I said that already :p but yeah, it was hehe check out his gallery :)

Next week I’m going to start practicing drawing the skeleton, simplified and semi-detailed and more anatomy. I've been using a book called "Bridgman's Complete Guide to Drawing from Life". Hope everyone has a great weekTill then, happy drawing :D

p.s. ooh ooh, I’m gonna start learning to paint in gouache soon. It took me two weeks to save up to buy the materials. Very excited :D 




my friend's from college and i started a little sketch group in facebook.
 just a weekly art jam, to have fun and to learn.
here's a material study from this week


after a successful month of drawing

No comments:

Post a Comment