Saturday, January 14, 2012

A good first week



I’ve set a goal to draw every day. So I’ve been waking up at 6.30 in the morning for the past week and the first thing I do is draw for a couple of hours. It took a little bit of adjusting, but I’m getting used to it.

I’ve been drawing straight in Photoshop for the first time. I’ve always had difficulty when it comes to using the stylus, mostly because I’ve never really tried sketching regularly with it. I’ve been avoiding using it, until now. I always do my sketching on paper first. I like how the pencil feels against the paper, it just feels more natural and I’m able to quickly execute my ideas.

But I stumbled onto something recently while I was trying to do some sketching in Photoshop.  All this time, when I use the stylus, I’ve been holding it at the edge and I’ve never been able to draw accurately. Even drawing a straight line which I’m easily able to draw with a pencil feels like a chore in Photoshop. So I started holding the pen in the middle like I would use a pencil, and it made all the difference. A lot of you may probably already know this, but for those of you who don’t, I suggest you give it a try. Hope it helps :)

here's how i used to hold the stylus

here's how i use it now

who knew?


I’ve decided that I’ll upload my sketches once a week rather than uploading stuff every other day. I’m thinking it’ll be a good way to see my progress in terms of how much I practice. I’ve been using a book called “Drawing the Head and Hands” by Andrew Loomis. Awesome book by an awesome artist. I was able to do about 30 pages this week. Simply love his approach. I can’t recommend the book enough.

I’m looking forward to see how much more I’ll be able to do this week. Have a good night everyone and keep drawing :)

No comments:

Post a Comment